Sheriff Bill Prummell and the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas as well as a safe and happy New Year. We are truly grateful for such a kind and generous community that we have the privilege and honor to serve. We have accomplished many wondrous things together and we are excited for what 2020 has in store for Charlotte County.
To keep your holiday a safe one, please remember a few things.
- Never drive impaired
- If you are drinking alcohol, that means choosing a Designated Driver, staying where you are celebrating, or arranging for another form of safe transportation. As a reminder, the AAA Tow to Go program is operating throughout the holiday until 1/2. If plans for a designated driver fail, this free ride home is available by calling 1-855-2-TOW-2-GO (1-855-286-9246).
- Keep your travel plans off your social media networks
- Never post where you are going, when you are leaving, or when you will be back. This is prime information for a thief because they will know when your house will be empty.
- When you do go out of town, be sure to notify a trusted neighbor. Ask the neighbor to keep an eye on your house and report any suspicious activity.
- Dispose of gift boxes appropriately
- Leaving TV, computer, or other boxes by the side of the road is valuable information for a criminal. Instead, minimize the threat by dissemble the boxes to fit into the recycle bin.
- Turn off Christmas lights prior to leaving
- According to the U.S. Fire Administration, December is the deadliest month for electrical fires. Be sure to turn any holiday lights off when you go out for the evening or when you go to bed.
As always, we’re always one call away… even on holidays.
Non-Emergency Number: 639-0013 or 9-1-1