Over the last 3 weeks, we have had a total of 9 golf carts stolen from Charlotte County community members.
Securing your golf cart when not in use is extremely important. Removing the key and parking your golf cart in a secure area like a shed, is ideal. If parked in the driveway, block it in with a vehicle. We believe the suspects responsible for these crimes are from outside of our county. They are traveling to golf cart friendly communities and taking advantage of the easily accessible golf carts. Please take extra precautions when securing your property to prevent yourself from becoming a victim.
The following options are also available for you to research what might work best for you:
- Install a unique key switch. Most standard golf carts of the same brand use generic common keys.
- Install a manual disconnect switch. They are usually installed in a hard to find location and some have the capability to install a padlock as well.
- Install a security system that can disable your golf cart via key fob.
- Install a pedal lock which prevents the accelerator pedal from being pressed by locking it into the upright position.
- Install a steering wheel club. Just like in the automotive market, there are various products available.
- A wheel lock boot will prevent your wheels from rolling.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office offers a no cost golf cart registry. The golf cart, bicycle & kayak registry, also known as B.A.T, is a program hosted by the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office. Once scheduled, you MUST bring each item you would like to register to the event. You then simply fill out a basic information form, a Deputy confirms the serial number and applies a numbered ID sticker to each item. The ID sticker will assist law enforcement in identifying your item if it is ever stolen. Contact the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office Crime Prevention Unit at 941-613-3227 to schedule this event in your neighborhood!