From the desk of Sheriff Bill Prummell-
Living in Charlotte County, we’re spoiled. We are surrounded by beaches, golf courses, wildlife, beautiful parks, amazing restaurants, and more.
With all of this in mind, it is easy to become complacent and let our guard down. Unfortunately, there are criminals waiting for you to do just that. What’s even more frustrating is that many these offenders often come from outside of our county.
I cannot stress enough the importance of being diligent in taking steps to protect yourself and your valuables. The easiest thing you can do, and I know you’re probably tired of hearing us say it, is lock your doors. Criminals are looking for a quick score – and an unlocked door gives them instant access.
We have seen time and time again when an attempt to open a vehicle door fails, the suspect moves on to the next one. It is very rare that they continue to try to gain access, and if they do, it’s because they see or know there is something specific of value inside.
Lock your doors and bring your valuables inside. This includes key fobs for push-to-start vehicles. Please do not fall into the trap of assuming you don’t have to because you live in a safe community, and you do. But the criminals look for those “safe neighborhoods” and target them for exactly that reason.
What You Can Do:
- Lock Your Doors and turn on your alarm (Use the 9pm Routine)
- Park in your garage if possible
- Block in golf carts and trailers – and remove keys
- Secure bicycles with chain locks
- Ensure your property is well-lit and bushes/shrubs trimmed to < 3 ft.
- Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your home when you aren’t around
- Start a Neighborhood Watch in your area if there isn’t one in place already
- Don’t post your vacation pictures on social media until you return home
- Always report suspicious activity to the non-emergency line (941) 639-0013
If each of us makes the effort, criminals will get the point. Let’s work together to keep Charlotte County the best place in Florida to live, work, and play.
Stay safe, stay strong, and never quit!