Your home should be a safe place, a refuge from the outside world.
Safety begins at your door:
- Keep entrances and outdoor areas well-lit. Make sure main entrances are visible from the street and from your neighbors’ homes.
- Keep doors and windows locked.
- Doorknobs should be at least 40 inches away from glass windows.
- Have the locks changed when you move to a new residence.
- Don’t hide a key outside – invest in a garage door that can be opened with a code.
- Verify a person’s identity before opening your door.
Additional Tips for Security at Home:
- Keep shrubs and other plants trimmed below your windows.
- Make sure your house number is clearly visible from the street. This helps first responders find your house quickly.
- If you come home and suspect a burglary has occurred, do not enter the residence and call law enforcement immediately.
Always report suspicious activity in your neighborhood. Add our non-emergency number (941-639-0013) to your cell phone so it’s handy as an alternative to 911.