Around 4:00 a.m. January 6, deputies noticed a parked vehicle on the side of a closed Sunnydell Plaza in Port Charlotte, Florida. When approached, Seth Smith (dob 02/13/1986 ) exited the vehicle and faced away from the deputy. Smith was asked what he was doing at the plaza and he stated they were there to pay his girlfriends bond.
Both Smith and the deputy walked upstairs to find a closed bail bonds office and a girlfriend nowhere in sight. As they were walking, Smith emitted a strong odor of marijuana and was not in possession of a medical marijuana card.
Smith was searched and inside an eyeglass case in a pocket, deputies located a baggie containing a white powdery substance recognized as cocaine and tested positive for cocaine and fentanyl (19.1 grams). Another baggie was discovered that also tested positive for cocaine and fentanyl (0.4 grams). A large quantity of cash was found in Smiths pocket wrapped in a rubber band with no explanation of how the money was obtained.
Continuing the search, a loaded Springfield .45 caliber handgun was found beneath the passenger seat where Smith had been sitting. A large unlocked box was in the backseat containing 9 baggies of cocaine/fentanyl, as well as a white pill bottle containing 0.4 grams of cocaine. An orange pill bottle was removed containing THC oil, LSD, MDMA and two baggies containing a combined weight of 39.3 grams of marijuana.
A loaded Taurus .38 caliber was found inside this same box including 66 rounds of miscellaneous ammunition.
Smith was placed under arrest for the following charges:
- Trafficking in Fentanyl 4 Grams or More
- Possession of Controlled Substance without Prescription (crack/cocaine).
- Possession of Controlled Substance without Prescription (THC oil)
- Possession of Controlled Substance without Prescription (MDMA pill)
- Possession of Marijuana over 20 grams
- Possession of Firearm Ammunition or Weapon by Florida Convicted Felon
- Drug Paraphernalia – Possession or Use of